My experience with work experience
Hello
So like I said a couple of blogs ago, I have been really busy. Just like I predicted it was a lot of fun. I got to do so many cool things with my friends but I also did some things to improve myself. Work experience is one of those things.
I did my work experience in my local hairdressers. Now, if I am honest, I am not the girliest person. I don't wear makeup very often; I only own black jeans and t-shirts because I don't know what goes together and I rarely make my hair look nice. But I wanted an insight into a small business and I wanted to meet and interact with new people without being thrown into the deep end.
You see, the hairdressers I worked at I have been going to for years so I already knew the workers. This is good for me as it meant that I wasn't too anxious about the staff and I only had to conquer meeting new clients.
Here are the notes I made about the week:
Day 1 -
I swept the floors, folded the foil, greeted clients, washed a clients hair (with assistance) and washed and put away equipment.
The staff were helpful and kind.
This morning I felt nervous but at the end of the day, I felt more confident.
Tomorrow I want to ask more questions learn more about the workplace.
Day 2 -
Today I washed 2 clients hair (with assistance), washed the draws and sorted them out, took down products and cleaned the shelves, swept the floor and greeted the customers.
I did more things without help.
By the end of the day, I felt tired because it was hard standing up all day.
I asked questions to the clients as I was washing their hair.
Day 3 -
[Salon closed]
Day 4 -
Today I swept the floors, made teas and coffees, greeted clients, washed hair, assisted with perms, cleaned the salon and stacked the shelves.
I could have answered the phone.
Day 5 -
I swept the floors, washed hair (unaided), greeted clients, did the washing up and laundry, cleaned the work surfaces and made the teas and coffees.
I got on with the other workers well.
To improve, I could have built up the confidence to answer the phone.
Message board -
"Well done Emily you have worked hard. I can see you have progressed well throughout the week. Thank you for your help and I wish you well for the future"
"Emily has worked extremely well and wasn't afraid to get stuck in, she listened to everything we told her and was able to say why and what she was doing. Thank you for your help!"
"Well done on your work experience Emily, you've done fab! We've enjoyed your company and really appreciate all of your help and hard work. "
Overall thoughts -
Work experience wasn't bad but I have found out that it is not the right job for me. I have realised that I do want to work with children and that working in an all-adult environment was not my thing. Also, working a 9-6 job where you stand up for the entire day is very hard, especially when you are used to sitting down all day at school.
Until next time
-Emicool
So like I said a couple of blogs ago, I have been really busy. Just like I predicted it was a lot of fun. I got to do so many cool things with my friends but I also did some things to improve myself. Work experience is one of those things.
I did my work experience in my local hairdressers. Now, if I am honest, I am not the girliest person. I don't wear makeup very often; I only own black jeans and t-shirts because I don't know what goes together and I rarely make my hair look nice. But I wanted an insight into a small business and I wanted to meet and interact with new people without being thrown into the deep end.
You see, the hairdressers I worked at I have been going to for years so I already knew the workers. This is good for me as it meant that I wasn't too anxious about the staff and I only had to conquer meeting new clients.
Here are the notes I made about the week:
Day 1 -
I swept the floors, folded the foil, greeted clients, washed a clients hair (with assistance) and washed and put away equipment.
The staff were helpful and kind.
This morning I felt nervous but at the end of the day, I felt more confident.
Tomorrow I want to ask more questions learn more about the workplace.
Day 2 -
Today I washed 2 clients hair (with assistance), washed the draws and sorted them out, took down products and cleaned the shelves, swept the floor and greeted the customers.
I did more things without help.
By the end of the day, I felt tired because it was hard standing up all day.
I asked questions to the clients as I was washing their hair.
Day 3 -
[Salon closed]
Day 4 -
Today I swept the floors, made teas and coffees, greeted clients, washed hair, assisted with perms, cleaned the salon and stacked the shelves.
I could have answered the phone.
Day 5 -
I swept the floors, washed hair (unaided), greeted clients, did the washing up and laundry, cleaned the work surfaces and made the teas and coffees.
I got on with the other workers well.
To improve, I could have built up the confidence to answer the phone.
Message board -
"Well done Emily you have worked hard. I can see you have progressed well throughout the week. Thank you for your help and I wish you well for the future"
"Emily has worked extremely well and wasn't afraid to get stuck in, she listened to everything we told her and was able to say why and what she was doing. Thank you for your help!"
"Well done on your work experience Emily, you've done fab! We've enjoyed your company and really appreciate all of your help and hard work. "
Overall thoughts -
Work experience wasn't bad but I have found out that it is not the right job for me. I have realised that I do want to work with children and that working in an all-adult environment was not my thing. Also, working a 9-6 job where you stand up for the entire day is very hard, especially when you are used to sitting down all day at school.
Until next time
-Emicool
Comments
Post a Comment