Dealing with my social anxiety | Thought Bubble

Hello. My name is Emily, I am 16 years old and I have social anxiety.

For me, that means that the thought of being around people terrifies me - especially if it's people I don't know. So things, like walking around college, going shopping or inviting a new friend over to my house, put me on edge. My chest gets tight, my palms get sweaty and I may have a panic attack.

Last summer, I debated doing NCS but decided against it because the thought of spending Monday to Friday for 5 weeks with a bunch of strangers away from home made me want to puke. No way was I doing that.

So I did something else instead. I went to a summer school to a university near me. Spending 3 days and 2 nights with people who I'd never met before pushed me out of my comfort zone. I came home early after a panic-attack-filled night but I definitely got something out of it.

When I started college, I was scared. But (through a lot of motivation) I have made some new friends and I am enjoying it. I'm getting better but things aren't perfect.

Yes, I have made new friends who I speak to every day. But meeting up with them outside of college still makes me anxious - which is something I'm working on.

I have come a long way over this last year - doing things for myself without other people and pushing myself to try new things. That makes me proud.

I will continue to push myself because that's the only way I can get through my anxiety. However, like tonight, I will recognise when I'm stretching myself too much and I need a break. It's good to push yourself to try new things, but you should also keep in mind your mental state.

Until next time
-Emicool

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Easy Summer Productivity Tips

The Day Before GCSEs | Thought Bubble

5 things to do before a new school term