2017: Reflecting on Resolutions and my year in review

This year was big. Therefore, instead of just reflecting on the new year's resolutions I made in January, I have decided to also do a list of all the things that I have done and achieved this year to really get a sense of my 2017.

First, my new year's resolutions:


  1. Meditate regularly. I have been semi-successful with this. During the run-up to GCSEs and throughout GCSEs I was meditating nearly every day. However, I let it slip during the summer holidays. I have recently downloaded an app on my phone again and (due to being stressed about college) I am beginning to pick up meditation again. I genuinely think it made a real difference to my mental state through exams and it is a habit which I always want to keep.
  2. Drink enough water, especially during exam season. Again, during GCSEs, this was something which I tried very hard to complete but it went downhill from summer onwards. Unfortunately, since starting college I have noticed that I am not drinking nearly enough and most of what I drink is tea. This is definitely one of the resolutions I will have to carry over to 2018.
  3. Spend more time with friends outside of school. Achieved. Although I am not the most social human being, this year I have really gotten better at spending time with friends. Whether that be revising, watching movies or just going to a friends house, I have actually achieved this goal. 
  4. Try hard for GCSEs but make sure you are healthy. On the whole, I did succeed with this goal. Sure, I did have some dips but on the whole, I prioritised my mental/physical health during the actual GCSE exams, learning my lesson from mocks.
  5. Maintain regular exercise (maybe go for a run??). Due to a dance show in October, I kept dancing throughout the summer holidays which was good. I also tried my best to do yoga every day (which I have been neglecting for the last couple of months). I did try to go for a run during the summer but it's not really my thing. However, in January I am going to start yoga classes which is promising.
  6. Don't panic when you go to college, it's going to be fine. Failed. 2 weeks into college I had a complete meltdown and, if I'm completely honest, my mental health has been in decline since starting. However, I am seeking help from our student services team to try to combat this.
  7. Meet up with your cousins more. Half failed. I have definitely been neglecting some of my cousins and seeing others more. I would like to meet up with them more just basically to maintain that solid connection.
  8. Write more blogs - release any thoughts. This year I have written 24 blogs which are not too bad but not the best. I would definitely like to utilise this blog more and I am thinking about doing monthly goals throughout 2018.
  9. Read for pleasure on the weekends instead of watching Youtube. Half failed. I still spend a hell of a lot of my time watching Youtube videos but I have read a lot more than previous years. I am quite proud of myself for pushing reading more this year but I still have a long way to go.
  10. Be proud of yourself. Take pride in your work and how far you have come. Have optimism. Definitely achieved. 2017 has been incredible in terms of my progress academically and as a person. I am proud of what I have gained from this year and so happy with my personal progression. 


My 2017 in Review:

Exams and grades:
  • In January I got my results back for my Grade 5 Music Theory Exam. 88/100 Merit (2 marks short of a Distinction).
  • GCSE Results - 7 As, 3 Bs and 1 C.
  • Grade 7 Keyboard Exam - 90/100 Distinction

Extracurriculars:
  • I did a dance show in October which was possibly my last dance show.
  • We set up a choir at the college so we could take part in the Christmas Concert.
  • I continued with the orchestra I am apart of - I am the percussionist. This year we doubled our members.
  • In my last music concert at highshool, I not only performed a medley of keyboard pieces from gade 1-7 which I put together myself, but I also organised and compared the show with my best friend.

Clubs and friends:
  • I left high school and started college taking 3 subjects which I love.
  • I went to a university summer school in the holidays which helped with my social anxiety and helped me make new friends.
  • I made loads of new friends when I started college all of whom I am incredibly grateful for. 
  • I started a British Sign Language Course, joined a new choir and a funk band all around the college.

Self-improvement:
  • I came out as non-binary to my family and friends.
  • I cut my hair short.
  • I improved my self-confidence and I am continually working to combat my anxiety and stress.



Overall this year has been incredible for me personally. I wish everyone a happy and healthy 2018.
Until next time,
Emicool










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Easy Summer Productivity Tips

The Day Before GCSEs | Thought Bubble

5 things to do before a new school term