Year 7: How to survive high school

Hey guys

So in England, high school starts when you are 11 years old. Making the transition between first/junior/primary school can be hard for many people. So in this blog I will be sharing some tips and advice for those of you who are starting high school.

AHHH...I'M LOST!
Most high schools are quite big which can be intimidating especially on the first week. But there is no need to be nervous. At the start of the year you will get a schedule (BONUS TIP: Make plenty of copies of this so you won't be stuck if one gets lost) and most of the time they have the room numbers on them. My school has signs on the walls so on the first week of year seven I just followed them. However, I definitely could not tell you the room numbers of my classes now because I just memorised the route to each room.
In the first couple of weeks, make sure you walk around with a friend or two so if you do get lost you are not alone.

YOU'RE LATE!
In the first week or so of joining the school, most teachers probably won't mind if you are a little late. However, you must not make it a regular thing. Punctuality is very important because in the first five minutes your teacher could say a lot of important information (like dates of tests) and most teachers don't like repeating themselves. Also, if you are late often, you risk getting detentions which really suck.
If you are always late to registration, set your alarm earlier, have a shower at night, pack your bags the day before, whatever it takes.

WAIT...THERE WAS HOMEWORK?!
Organisation is really important. Don't be that person who never does their homework and makes up a stupid excuse. If your school gives you a planner, use it. If not, I would highly suggest getting one. Make sure you write in all your homework AND the due dates so you will never miss a piece.
Have a certain place for your homework. Whether this be a plastic folder or  "to-do" and "done" trays at home, try to keep everything together so you don't have a panic moment desperately trying to find your homework which is scrunched up at the bottom of your bag.

YES MISS... *scowl* 
Some teachers are horrible, strict and make you sit in silence; others are fun-loving jokers who think that to learn you should have fun. Teachers are there to make sure that you do well so if you feel that you are not learning in class or you don't quite understand a topic, tell someone. School is about learning and if you are not doing that then what is the point?
Try to get on your teachers good side (not in a suck-up way though) because it will make the year go a lot easier.

YEAH...I'M IN THE CHOIR!
Most schools offer clubs and groups for you to get involved in. I would definitely recommend joining one. Seriously. They improve confidence, help you to make new friends and give you something to do in your spare time. I am in the choir, a music leader, a languages leader and I am in student council. I look forward to all of these things and they just make me so happy.
(I also get a really cool badge :-P)


QUICK TIPS

  • Crushes are cool but don't let them run your life.
  • You don't need to have a face full of make up. You are beautiful.
  • If you do wear make up, go natural.
  • It's okay to come to school with greasy hair in a messy bun sometimes.
  • You don't need to be popular. Just have a few close friends who are loyal.
  • You are there to learn.
  • Read. Read. Read.
  • Try hard.
  • Be yourself; don't put on a mask to fit 'social expectations'.


-Emicool

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Easy Summer Productivity Tips

The Day Before GCSEs | Thought Bubble

5 things to do before a new school term